All sellers selling and shipping goods outside India should have an IEC code. To set up an export business from India you will require an Import Export Code (IEC). You can obtain more information on the IEC at http://www.dgft.org/IEC_Code.html
Follow the procedure outlined on the DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) at the IEC Application link to apply for an IEC.
Here are the answers to some of the questions on IEC and a step by step process to obtain an IEC code:
Who issues an IEC?
IEC is issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade
Do I need to have an IEC code to register on eBay?
No. You don't need to have an IEC code to register on eBay.
Who requires an IEC Code?
Any bonafide individual or company starting a venture for international trade – in short, all sellers selling and shipping goods outside India should have an IEC code.
Can one export goods outside India without an IEC?
No. IEC code is mandatory for all commercial transactions involving exports (shipment of goods outside India) or imports (shipments received into India from other countries).
Applying for IE Code
IEC is issued by DGFT, Directorate General of Foreign Trade, Government of India and below are the steps to obtain an IEC.
What are the documents in order to apply for an IEC Code?
- PAN Number (Please note: Only one IEC will be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same should be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation)
- Current Bank Account
- Bankers Certificate ( Account and Identity proof) – as per format
- Application Fee Rs 250.00
- Covering letter on your company's letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format ( ANF)
- Must be submitted to your regional Joint DGFT Office.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the bank of the applicant.
- Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan / demand draft of Rs.100/- for speed post
From where can one get an IEC Form?
It can be downloaded from the website of DGFT [ http://www.dgft.org/IEC_Code.html ] or can be obtained from the counter at your nearby Zonal JDGFT office.
The application can be downloaded online. This is called " Aayaat Niryaat Form - ANF2A". Along with IEC Code Number Application Form it is necessary to submit the Appendix-18B form attested by the applicant's banker on the applicant's letter head with two passport size photographs.
Where do I need to submit the documents?
An application for grant of IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and the application submitted at the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade
Documents need to be submitted to your regional Jt.DGFT Office.
Click here to see the Joint DGFT Office closest to your city
What are the benefits of IEC?
On the basis of IEC, companies can obtain various benefits on their exports/imports from DGFT, Customs and Export Promotion Council. Please visit the DGFT site [ http://www.dgft.org/IEC_Code.html
] for more information on the benefits .